IRRI - Platform Leader - Strategic Innovation
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Reporting to the Deputy Director General for Research, the Platform Leader will:
- Lead and manage a group of research for development Cluster Leaders focusing on bioinformatics, future-ready genetic resources, enabling systems and technologies, systems physiology and trait and genome engineering;
- Be responsible for the articulation and execution of the Platform strategy;
- Assure delivery of outcomes aligned with the IRRI’s vision, mission, values, target goals, policies and procedures;
- Provide strategic leadership in research for development;
- Explore and cultivate cutting-edge ideas in resolving food and nutritional security issues related to rice research;
- Work with our grants and partnerships teams to assure funding for research for development within Platform - Strategic Innovation;
- Work with other Platform Leaders, Regional Representatives and Research Support to assure cross-Platform contributions to IRRI’s Research Themes;
- Be responsible for ensuring scientific credibility and capacity within the Clusters, and managing staffing; and
- Promote collaborative relationships amongst scientists and existing external partners while forming new alliances with future partners and donors.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead multidisciplinary and cross-functional groups to ensure that Platform and Theme research goals and priorities are aligned with IRRI’s values, overall strategy, priorities and target goals;
- Ensure accountability of Cluster and Theme Leaders to deliver research outcomes in compliance with donor requirements and IRRI’s policies and procedures;
- Work as part of a team to bring in new resources to support IRRI’s new Strategic Plan;
- Facilitate the identification of research priorities and optimum usage of IRRI’s resources;
- Promote, sustain and develop new strategic partnerships and alliances with public and private stakeholders to cultivate collaborative research programs; and
- Act as a catalyst and champion of IRRI-wide changes to achieve IRRI’s mission and goals;
- Coordinate with IRRI’s Executive Team, through the DDG-R, in the execution of the Platform and Theme goals and priorities;
- Represent IRRI in research fora, local and international conferences to sustain and develop working relationship with new target investors, donors, government partners, communities and private institutions.
- Advocate IRRI’s research for development in international research fora to enhance the IRRI’s brand across different regions;
- Facilitate the development, alignment and integration of research Clusters and Theme operational plans, objectives and key performance indicators;
- Lead and facilitate the delivery and completion of research for development outcomes and ensure compliance to donor requirements within agreed timeframes;
- Harness the synergy and nurture the creativity of multidisciplinary and cross functional research to generate innovative research programs and secure new sources of funding;
- Improve IRRI’s research for development delivery to achieve maximum success with investors, donors, partners, and users.
- Manage and monitor the performance of Cluster and Theme Leaders to ensure the quality and continuous growth of human resources and to build high performing teams;
- Support and cultivate the culture change and organizational development initiatives across IRRI; and
- Contribute in the review and ongoing revision of IRRI policies, procedures and processes;
Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the supervisor from time to time
Qualifications and experience:
- PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Genetic Resources, enabling systems and technologies, Systems Physiology or trait and genome engineering
- Recognized international leader in a relevant science field
- Significant multicultural and multidisciplinary management experience
Skills and Knowledge:
- Understand research for development challenges and opportunities
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent advocacy, presentation, influencing and entrepreneurial skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Proven ability to establish high level of cooperation and alliances
- Work experience in Asia or Africa
How to Apply:
Applications must be addressed to CareerTrax via email to email@example.com stating IRRI-PL-AP +your surname in the subject line.
To apply for this role, kindly attach your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (of 350 words or less) which summarizes how your profile aligns with the key requirements, skills and abilities of this role. Please send these as Word files only.